About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Friday, May 20, 2011

More Crazy Tomato Tips!!

We just transplanted our tomatoes, and I have some crazy tips, inspired by my favorite natural gardener, Jerry Baker, in his books Giant Book of Garden Solutions and Terrific Tomatoes, Sensational Spuds and Mouth-Watering Melons.
Tip No. 1:  Mix 3 cups of compost, ½ cup powdered nonfat milk, ½ cup of Epsom salts, 1 Tbsp. baking soda.  Sprinkle a handful of the mix into the planting hole, and then sprinkle a little of the dry milk on top of the soil after planting.  Continue to sprinkle the dry milk every few weeks during the growing season.  This will ward of common tomato diseases.
Tip No. 2:  Want sweeter tomatoes?  Sprinkle a Tbsp. of sugar into the planting hole at the time you transplant your new tomatoes.
Tip No. 3:  To add more potassium to the soil for your tomatoes, bury a banana peel in the bottom of the planting hole, then transplant your tomato on top of it.  Afterward, every time you enjoy a banana during the summer, carefully (you don’t want to hurt the roots) dig a hole near the base of the plant and bury the new banana peel. 
I told you they were crazy … I’m trying them.  If you try them too, let me know how your tomatoes turn out.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment