About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mock Soy Sauce - Recipe


Image from Taste of Home Magazine

Soy and corn crops are between 85% to 95% genetically modified (GMO).  The dangers of eating this modifed foods are becoming more apparent as scientist are putting the crops under closer scrutiny. 
As I am cleaning up my diet, I am eating organic or home grown produce (and meat) as much as possible.  I have made many substitutions to my diet to try to eliminate as many environmental pollutants as possible, but one of my staple cooking ingredients, soy sauce, was hard to replace until now.   
The test kitchens for Taste of Home Magazine  developed this alternative to store-bought soy sauce. Its color and flavor will make you think it’s the real thing. But it's lower in sodium than both regular soy sauce and the low-sodium variety.
32 Servings Prep/Total Time: 5 min.
Ingredients
             3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
             1-1/2 cups boiling water
             1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
             2 tablespoons sesame oil
             1 tablespoon dark molasses
             Dash pepper
Directions
In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Store in the refrigerator. Shake well before using. Yield: about 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 tablespoon equals 11 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment