About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Salad Bar in the Making


Tonight we finally put our lettuce starts in their new home.  Tom is posed with two of the main ingredients for this transplant: potting mixture, alfalfa meal, and behind him ... the ever present compost material!!

The hints I picked up from Jerry Baker said to mix your planting mix with compost material.  Nearly fill your container to the top and add a cup or so of alfalfa meal (this adds nitrogen to the soil).  Add two more inches of potting soil on top of that.  Then put in your transplants.

We have planted arugula, red and green roamine, red leaf lettuce, and buttercrunch.  We have already been snipping off lettuce for our salad ... the leaves are so tender and delicious!  There is abolutely no comparison to the stuff you buy in the store.

We are going to plant new seeds every 10 days so we have lettuce throughout the growing season.  I can see Tom out there now out on the patio with his little bowl, clipping his evening salad.  Can't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment