About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Importance of Eating Spinach plus Recipe

I HATE SPINACH!!! ... or at least I thought I did.  What I hated was cooked spinach ... all stinky and slimey ... ewwwww!!

My latest discovery is that I DO like spinach ... as long as it is RAW!!  The following poster from the Healthy Food web site tells us how good spinach is for us!  I know, people have always said that, but this is the first time I have really eaten spinach so I am paying attention this time.


Here is a great summer salad using spinach and strawberries ... who knew they made such a great combination.  This recipe comes from the Mother Nature Network.

 
           Strawberry Spinach Summer Salad

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 1 bundle fresh spinach
  • 1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced
  • 4 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
 
Time estimates
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

Directions
  1. Rinse veggies thoroughly.
  2. Combine vinegar and oil in small jar. Close lid and shake well.
  3. Over medium-high heat add dab of oil to saucepan. After one minute add almonds. Stir for five or six minutes or until light brown.
  4. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Add feta. Toss gently and serve.
Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment