About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Will You Have Fries with That? I Don't Think So!!!

Everybody talks about Fast Food.  "Fast food isn't good for you," "fast food is just junk food," or "fast food makes you fat not fast."  I have watched enough "Restaurant Impossibles" to convince me I don't ever want to eat in a mom and pop type restaurant or cafe again ... but I thought because fast food joints come with established protocals for everything from making a hamburger to emptying the trash ... I was sure they would be reasonably sanitary!!  Maybe not!!!  The excerpts below are from a Shine article by Lylah M. Alphonse. 

Comment from former fast food employee (the establishment will remain nameless, but trust me, it is one of the big ones!):  "Here is how the oil rotation went. You had four vats of oil that you cooked fries in. And boy did you cook fries. Tons of them. After about two days worth, the oil got too dark for fries. So we switched it over to the ones for chicken. Since it was darker, it was ok. Then that goes on for a week. After a week of massive frying. The oil is black as motor oil. At that point, it's switched to the Fish Filet vat. That's the only thing you cook in that vat."

From another fast food employee of another BIG franchise:  "I accidentally left a whole bag of about 100 chicken nuggets out on a counter for way too long.  They melted. Into a pool of liquid. I never understood why. But they were completely indiscernible as being the nuggets I once knew."

Ice machines and ice-cream dispensers can also have major sanitary problems.  After watching several episodes of RI, I really don't ask for ice in my drinks, and in fact, I don't even want to drink the pop or water that is dispensed from machines.  Another ex-fast food worker said it was because they can be hard to clean or don't get "broken down" or taken apart often.  He went on to say that after he had been an employee for four years, he completely stopped drinking ice from all fast food places because "I found a caterpillar sized chunk of mold in the ice about a week after the machine had been 'cleaned',"

This is just a few of the horror stories from the Shine article called "Fast Food Employees Dish About the Menu Items You Should Never Order."

No comments:

Post a Comment