About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Simple "Surprise Ingredient" Pulled Pork

We were having friends over for dinner last night ... but I had a super crazy busy day ahead of me.  I had this recipe tucked away for my crock pot ... but I was hesitant to use it because of the surprise ingredient.  It was totally the best pulled pork I have had in a LONG time!  Two ingredients and 335 calories for the full sandwich.

"SURPRISE INGREDIENT" PULLED PORK
335 CALORIES -- TWO INGREDIENTS



1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin (I used a cheaper cut actually)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
1 (18 ounce) bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (mine is Sweet Baby Ray's)
8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted

1.  Heat the crock pot for a few minutes so it is warm when you put the meat in.

2.  Place the pork tenderloin in a slow cooker;  pour the root beer over the meat.  Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6-7 hours. 

3.  Pull the pork out of the crockpot and put on a large tray.  Carefully pour the contents of the crock pot out.

4.  Take two forks and pull the pork into shreds. 

5.  Return the pork to the crock pot, and cover with your favorite barbecue sauce.  Reheat until time to serve (at least 30 minutes to let flavors mingle.)

Nutrition Information:  Servings = 8 sandwiches
Calories:  335
Fat:  5g
Cholesterol:  49mg
Sodium:  990mg
Total Carbs:  49.4g
     Dietary Fiber:  1.5g
Protein:  21.2g

NOTES:
1.  The true southern way to serve a pulled pork sandwich is to top it with your favorite cole slaw.

2.  When I make this again, I am going to grill some red or sweet onions to mix into the pork 10 minutes before serving.

3.  The actual cooking time length may vary according to individual  slow cooker.  Before taking the pork out of the crock pot to shred, double check the internal temperature of the pork with a thermometer.  The temperature should be a minimum of 145 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment