About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Farmer's Spaghetti Squash Casserole

This is our first year growing our own vegetable garden.  Even though we were warned, we still planted too many squash and zucchini plants.  Now I am on the hunt for some good recipes.  We tried this one out tonight, and it was positively delicious.  When I make it next time though, I think I am going to toss in some roasted pine nuts for added crunch.

                       FARMER'S SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE

Prep Time:  20 minutes                      Cook Time:  1 hour                 Servings:  6
3 pounds spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 8-oz can sliced mushrooms  (I used sliced fresh mushrooms instead)
1 tsp dried basil  (I used fresh basil instead)
3/4 cup sour cream  (I used non-fat sour cream.  It was 30 calories per 2 Tbsp
                                   serving less than regular regular sour cream ... so
                                   the calories in my recipe were less than shown
                                   in the nutritional information below)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 slices bread, cubed  (I used ready-made croutons)

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Cook squash on a baking sheet in a preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until tender.  Let cool for about 5-10 minutes and then use a fork to shred the meat of the squash.  Pull the fork down from the top to the bottom, pulling the shred from the zucchini.  (Do not turn the oven off).
3.  Transfer the shredded spaghetti squash to a lightly oiled casserole dish, discarding shell.
4.  Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Cook and stir the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and basil until onions are translucent and tender.  Stir onion mixture and sour cream into the squash until well mixed.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and cover with bread cubes.
5.  Bake in the preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and top is lightly browned and toasted.
Notes:  See notes made on individual ingredients.
Nutritional Information:  Serving = 1/6th recipe
Calories:  211      Total Fat:  10.6g     Cholesterol:  10mg      Sodium:  364mg
Total Carbs:  25.9g  (Dietary Fiber: 4.8g)      Protein:  5.9g


No comments:

Post a Comment