About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What are Adaptogens and Why Do You Need Them?


When I talk about my Isagenix products I point out that our Ionix Supreme and now our new e+ Natural Energy Shot contain adaptogens. Often I am asked, "What are adaptogens?"  The word adaptogen is used by herbalists to refer to a natural herb product that increases the body's resistance to stresses such as trauma, anxiety and bodily fatigue.  In the past they have been called rejuvenating herbs, qi tonics, rasayanas, or restoratives.  Knowledge about adaptogens dates back thousands of years to ancient India and China, but serious scientific study did not begin until the late 1940s. 

In 1947, Dr. Nikolai Lazarev defined an adaptogen as an agent that allows the body to counter adverse physical, chemical, or biological stressors by raising nonspecific resistance toward such stress, thus allowing the organism to "adapt" to the stressful circumstances.  In short, adaptogens are plant and herbal extracts that help the body to "adapt" and normalize, creating an overall sense of well-being and balance.

In other words ... If you or your body are stressed
YOU NEED ADAPTOGENS!


No comments:

Post a Comment