About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Quick Tips for a Good Walk

You’ve been walking since you were a baby.  Would you be surprised to find out you might not be doing it incorrectly?  Now that I am walking more to prepare for my first half-marathon this Spring, I noticed that by the end of my walk my back and legs felt fatigued.  A friend gave me a list of guidelines for proper posture and techniques to improve my walking sessions.  Since I have been following these guidelines I feel like I have a lot more energy during and after my walks. 

Lengthen Your Spine
Imagine a string attached to a balloon which is attached to the top of your head and being pulled upward, making you as tall as you can be. While you are on your walk do not lean forward (from the waist) because you could be putting a strain on your back causing fatigue or possible injury.

Keep Your Chin Up
I have a habit of looking down at the ground when I am walking.  The guidelines say to look up, chin parallel to the ground, while you’re walking which will result in less neck and back pain.

Take Natural Strides
Don’t “push” your steps.  Instead keep your strides as natural as possible.  Taking longer than natural (comfortable) steps could cause an injury.  Move with a fluid, comfortable stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment