About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Perfected Pulled Pork -- Recipe

I have been fiddling around with this pulled pork recipe for a few weeks (well, since I got a great bargain on organic pork!!)
It is the easiest recipe ever.  Since it is made in a crock pot, you can put it together in 15 minutes before you take off for work, and dinner is ready when you get back home.

We had a pot luck with our neighbors yesterday, and I served this dish ... everybody loved it.  Even my gluten-free friends.

Perfected Pulled Pork

2 large red onions
3-4 lbs pork shoulder, pork butt or pork loin
1-12oz can of root beer (I used diet Barq's)
1-18oz bottle of barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)

1.  Cut the red onions in half, and then slice in small strips.  Take the strips from one onion and separate and fill the bottom of your crock pot.

2.  Take the pork and sear it on all sides to seal in the juices, and then lay it on the bed of onions in your crock pot.

3.  Cover the pork with the separated strips from the second onion.

4.  Pour the root beer over the pork.

5.  Pour the barbecue sauce over the pork.

6.  Cover the pot and set to Low (Slow Cook), and cook for 10-12 hours.  (If you are in a hurry, set the pot on high and cook for 5-6 hours)

7.  After cooking for 12 hours, pull the pork and onions out of the pot and toss the juices left in the pot.

8.  Take two forks and pull the pork in two directions until you get the pork shredded to small pieces.

9.  Return pork to the crock pot and if necessary, pour in an extra 1/4 to 1/2 cup barbecue sauce.

Nutritional Info:
Calories  159
Total Fat  3g
  Sat Fat  1g
  Trans Fat  0g
Chol  41g
Sod  411g
Total Carbs  15g
  Diet. Fiber  0
  Sugar  14g
Protein  17g
Calc  0%

I make a sandwich with those new thin 100 calorie buns, so the whole sandwich only contains 259 calories.  We also like to put a dab of low fat cole slaw on top of the meat (which I make with non-fat organic mayo, cabbage & carrot shreds, and 1/2 cup of dried cranberries.)  Even with the cole slaw, the sandwhich is less than 280 calories.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment