About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Consequences of the National Obesity Epidemic

I’m surely not alone in feeling alarmed when I read that the obesity epidemic is worse now than ever. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently posted a website with a map of the United States showing the changes in obesity that have taken place over the last 25 years. I strongly suggest that you use this link and see for yourself.
Just to give you an idea of the gravity of the situation, I would like to share with you the following statistics:
  • In 1985, the highest state obesity rate was equal to or less than 14 percent.  Six years later it increased.
  • In 1991, the highest state obesity rate was equal to or less than 19 percent.  Six years later it increased.
  • In 1997, the highest state obesity rate was equal to or greater than 20 percent.  Four years later it increased.
  • In 2001, the highest state obesity rate was equal to or greater than 25 percent.  Four years later it increased.
  • In 2005, the highest state obesity rate was equal to or greater than 30 percent.
  • Currently there are 12 states that are in this category and one state is at 34 percent.
  • In 1990, 10 states were equal to or less than 10 percent obesity range.
  • In 2000, no states were in the equal to or less than 10 percent obesity range.
  • In 2010, no states were in the equal to or less than 20 percent obesity range.
  • Sixty-eight percent of the American population is considered to be either overweight or obese


To read the rest of the article, click this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment